Sunday, July 27, 2008

Thyroid Update

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! I have just found out the most thrilling news! I had my thyroid levels checked last Monday and discovered Thursday that all systems are running normal again! Yay! Eight months of hard work and discipline have paid off. While being monitored by my M.D. and my Nutritionist, I went on a wheat and sugar free diet while taking special supplements. This has effectively normalized my TSH (pituitary gland) levels, T3 and T4 hormones.

There is one caveat: my thyroid could be on its way to burn out. I'm not in the clear just yet! I could still slip into Hypothyroidism. We will know for sure in November when I get tested again. My M.D. doesn't think this is the case since the T3 and T4 hormones have stayed the same for three months. I will always have Graves' Disease (autoimmune) and will always be on a modified diet... I'm seriously OK with that though! I beat the odds and I won't be subjected to the suffering of those who've had their thyroid killed by radioactive iodine or surgically removed. For those folks, thyroid replacement therapy is vital. From the many I've talked with, it's far from feeling well. Thyroid replacements basically keep your body from going totally wacky but it doesn't stop a lot of the troublesome side effects of hypothyroidism. People who are on this treatment tell me that their metabolism is not right, fatigue is always a factor and one even reported continued problems with her eyes (gritty, sandy feeling ~ extremely unpleasant ~ and bug eyes). Without proper thyroid hormones, other systems in the body suffer too. The endocrine system (essentially all the hormones in your body) is a delicately balanced system. See all the symptoms of hypothyroidism as outlined by the Mayo Clinic. Not fun!

As you can imagine, both of my doctors were THRILLED! The implications of my treatment are huge! It could make all the difference to the next person diagnosed with Graves' Disease. (Note: my case was diagnosed early and it is autoimmune... I understand from my doctors that straight up hyperthyroidism can't be treated with diet.) I am very lucky to have such sensitive and intelligent doctors. They worked in unison and continue to be so supportive. They answered an endless number of questions from me. They recognize that traditional medicine doesn't have all the answers. With my unique treatment, I hope it opens up avenues to other non-traditional treatments.

For more information on my experience, please read my first post about living with and treating Graves' Disease. Also know that I was (and continue to be) under close medical supervision throughout the entire process. A thyroid disorder is nothing to take lightly!

Cheers,
J.

Added bonus: I've lost about 20 pounds since last December. That's just my body normalizing... I've been too lazy/too fatigued to actively exercise. That's changing now that I feel so much better. Doctor's orders!

No comments: