Friday, June 29, 2007

Inspiration

In the past few weeks, I've had several people comment on my blog. One said, "I never knew this side of you." Another said that she read what I put on my blog and it gave her another perspective of certain situations. I thought to myself, "Wow! My blog is having an impact!" And then I had difficulty remembering, in detail, what I wrote. Uh-oh! So I just finished reading all my posts. Is it retarded to be inspired by my own written words and thoughts?? Then, so be it... I just found out the other day that I am a milktard, too. (Thanks to Edward for bringing urban term to my attention!) Why not be inspired by myself? My conclusion from reading my entire blog is one of excitement. I'm thinking, "This is pretty good! Not nearly as boring as my left brain would have me believe!" If nothing else, the construct is pretty smooth. Stupid left brain! Wait... what?

In reading my posts, I noticed one glaring omission: I am Episcopalian... and proud of it! The Episcopal Church is a member of the Anglican Communion. "Episcopal" derives from the Greek word "episkopos" meaning overseer, namely a bishop. Just like the state fair has fried dough, we have Apostolic Succession. I attend St. John in the Wilderness in Flat Rock.

I chose the Episcopal Church because of it encourages tolerance of diverse peoples and creeds, searching for the truth in the Gospel and practicing Christ's love in your own life. My ancestors have been members of the Episcopal Church for the last 400 years, but that did not factor too heavily in my decision. Over the course of many years, I investigated many other major religions and some Christian denominations, such as Zen Buddhism, Taoism, Eastern Orthodoxy and Catholicism. To this day, I believe Astrology to be true.

That's what I love about TEC: it allows for spiritual discovery and emotional growth. At first, I felt embarrassed that I didn't know when to sit or stand or my part in the responsory. Once I fell into the grace of the Episcopal liturgy, I came to understand its' purpose: to include, to embrace all who participate, to "bring into the fold." It's a wonderful feeling. I love my Church. It's truly a place where you can worship, pray, express yourself and ask questions without fear of dogmatic reprisal. Some would call us a bunch of upstarts! If you have the opportunity, I highly recommending trying it! I guarantee you will be welcome.

If you are interested in reading more about the Episcopal Church, the Episcopal Bookstore in Seattle, WA is a great place to start. It's the online store where I get most of my spiritual reading. One of my favorite authors on this subject is Bishop John Shelby Spong. I see his literary mission as liberating the Scriptures from hatred and intolerance in order to reveal the love and grace of God. It's good stuff.

I will close with one of my favorite prayers, attributed to St. Francis of Assisi:

Lord, make us instruments of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let us sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is discord, union;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
where there is sadness, joy.

Grant that we may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life. Amen.

Peace be with you,
Jaime

P.S.~ I had a piece of fried chicken and a slice of cherry pie for dinner tonight!

2 comments:

Edward said...

It is a good thing to be inspired by yourself. It's can be self perpetuating inspiration.

Wait, fried chicken and pie?

That's a nice prayer too.

Jaime said...

Yeah, last night's dinner was totally unstructured! A giving-in, of sorts, to the will of the taste buds.

If you are perpetually inspired by yourself, does it ever become just plain selfish? An emphasis on self-importance? I don't want that to happen! I guess the antidote for that is to simultaneously be inspired by others. Hmmm. That's something to chew on. Mmm... pie... chew on. Yum.
J.