Sunday, May 20, 2007

I caught the bouquet!

Yesterday, I attended my friend's wedding in Swannanoa. Eric and Crissy were married outside under a gazebo. The weather was absolutely perfect - sunny, not too hot, with gentle breezes. Thankfully, bees and other flying critters weren't out in droves.

As I told the bride and groom, that was the most fun I've ever had at a wedding. Great music, all the traditional wedding rituals and some special dances performed by the groom (read: I'm Too Sexy, Rumpshaker and Cotton-eyed Joe). It was so apparent in each of their faces that they are very much in love. There was beautiful sentiment throughout the wedding and reception.

Funny story: They asked for all the single girls to come up to the dance floor for the bouquet tossing. At first, I was the only one up there. For several minutes I was the ONLY one up there. How embarrassing! Eventually some other single ladies joined me. However, they were out of luck because Crissy threw the bouquet right toward me. The funny part comes in after the single guy, Trent who lives in Asheville, catches the garter belt and then has to "return the garter." To me. It was a beautiful moment. Really. As it turns out, I couldn't keep it because he wasn't entirely single and his girlfriend didn't appreciate it. Uh-oh! So I had to return the returned garter. Um, yeah. Next time I get a garter returned to me and then asked to return it, I believe I'll say, "I think one of the other garter-catchees needs to help me!" Ha! Too flirty?

Did I mention that three of my co-workers were a witness to all this? Yep. Ramona, Monique and Tom. Ramona will be the acting Dean of Continuing Education soon at the college I work at. That added a slight surreality to the whole regartering event. I also taught Ramona and Monique how to do the Electric Slide. Lol!

Carol, Tom's wife who works at a local collegiate honor society, was there as well. We go way back. Between the four of us, the ladies ripped up the dance floor... and I'm not just talking about the Electric Slide! I had no idea they were such good dancers. We had a ball! There were many moments when Ramona was laughing so hard that tears just streamed down her face. :D

Till next time,
Jaime

2 comments:

Edward said...

yeah, I think that's already in the fine print of the bouquet/garter ceremonial regulations: Once the garter has been applied to the thigh of the bouquet catcher, it may not be removed by the bouquet catcher within 10 miles of the bride and or groom. If extenuating circumstances prevail such that garter must be removed within the 10 mile radius, the runner-up garter catcher must remove said garter. Garter removal shall be performed using only the teeth of the runner-up garter catcher.

Jaime said...

Wow! I had no idea. I wish I had these rules yesterday. I hope I don't get a garter citation or anything... or perhaps it brings bad luck? Like adds a few more years before I can get married? Ha!

J.