Friday, March 9, 2007

Paging Willowby Bobbin...


Today was another weird one. I was still kind of floating from my dream the other night until lunchtime. We had a group troop to the cafeteria for Mediterranean food. I couldn't help but feel that my ex-friend (see "Is it the full moon?" post) was trying to thumb her nose at me. Probably illusory snubs, but enough to kill my mood. Then, all the lunch rice contraindicated with my sleepiness and I was Goofy (incarnate) the rest of the afternoon. Entertaining, no doubt, for my colleagues!

After work, I'm still kind of sad so I begin thinking of things that make me happy. Top of that list? My little furry buddy, Willowby Bobbin! He's a tri-color shih-tzu, who's nearly 10 months old. He's an incredible source of joy and laughter everyday. When I first got him he was the runt of the litter (6 wks.) and developmentally behind. With enough TLC for 5 puppies, he grew by leaps and bounds. His weight when I brought him home: 1.9lbs. His weight now: 16.9lbs!

Among other nicknames, I call him "Paper Boy" because he absolutely loves any sort of paper goods. Small boxes, toilet paper rolls, paper towels... if it came from a tree, he tucks into like it is a trove of treats! His most recent trick is "High Five." I place my hand, palm up, flat on the floor. He swings his paw out by his side landing squarely on my upturned hand.

You may be wondering what his other nicknames are.... well...

Nugget. Love. Mr. Bobbin. Lovey. My Buddy. Wills. Sweet Pea. Handsome. Poppet. Sugar. Good Boy. Sweetest Boy EVER. I know, I know... obnoxious!

Nugget is short for Nugget of Love. He was so tiny when I brought him but just a bundle of affection. I sing songs to him, like "My buddy, my buddy... Wherever I go, he's gonna go..." Sometimes I make up songs, like last night's dinner prep song about chicken and rice. :) He's a chicken and rice addict... it's like puppy opium for him. To Wills, "420 friendly" means "partial to poultry."

He loves performing (fetch, catch, come, bring toy) and enjoys the praise more than dog cookies. He's already been through the beginner/puppy class at PetSmart. I plan to enroll him for the intermediate class soon. He really enjoys meeting new dogs and new humans... any opportunity to show off and to play. He's an avid learner and loves new challenges.

Aside from paper, he always takes time for belly rubs. The belly rubs induce a state of puppy nirvana and I can usually make him fall asleep with a well-timed belly rub. Recently, he's been getting a belly rub close to bedtime that will make him start snoring almost immediately. Lol!

A true boost to my strange day was State opening another can of whoopa** tonight! Wolfpack triumphs over No. 2 Seed, Cavaliers. Go, Pack, Go! State's frontcourt game is just a marvel to watch. They can be on the inside or downtown: Doesn't Matter! I've become addicted to the swish the ball makes as it slides through the basket!

Wake Forest is playing Va. Tech right now. State will play the winner. Go Deacons! I want the showdown! Don't forget to see my Flickr page for more pictures of Willowby.

No comments: